Location: United States,
As an Acute Care Nurse Practitioner for the VAD program, you will exercise independent judgement in the assessment, diagnosis and initiation of medical processes and procedures, in accordance with the nurse practitioner licensure regulations of the Commonwealth of Virginia, and as delineated in the written Scope of Practice/Protocol for Nurse Practitioners. To help achieve our mission, you will demonstrate respect for and an understanding of other clinical disciplines while using an integrated approach to achieve desired patient outcomes. Utilizing evidenced based standards, guidelines and protocols for care delivery is required.
- Support diagnosis and care of patients supported by ventricular assist devices including routine, urgent and emergency care situations
- Independent evaluation and management of VAD patients in the inpatient and outpatient settings
- Manages the VAD device/performs RAMP echocardiograms
- Supports VAD patients in the acute care settings including the ED, OR, Cath Lab or other procedural areas
- Independently manages VAD patient medication regimens including diuretics and anticoagulation.
- Supports inpatient provider VAD ongoing education and competency assessment.
- Maintains competency in all VAD devices including Heartmate 2, 3 and Heartware pumps
- Practices in accordance with safe and effective standards of care and ensures compliance with professional and ethical standards of practice.
- Develops differential diagnosis and plans of care based on data collection and revises based on physiologic and psychosocial findings. Interprets and synthesizes laboratory, imaging and other pertinent data. Reviews patient plan of care with interdisciplinary team and with the patient and family.
- Evaluates and documents patients' response to car, and evaluates impact of illness on patients' health status, functional status, nutritional status, sleep and rest patterns, family and social relationships, and establishes a health promotion strategy.
- Assumes clinical management for the critically ill cardiovascular patient population in collaboration with physicians in practice.
- Assists in the development and revision of standards for patient populations and integrates evidence based research findings into clinical practice.
- Participates in clinical research/data collection and assists in projects and planning for continual development of respective specialty.
- Provides formal/informal clinical and professional educational programs to improve staff knowledge.
- Maintains certification(s) and licensure(s), including DEA license, if applicable. Is fully compliant with the IHI bundles (i.e. VAP and central lines).