JOB SUMMARY: The Associate Access Specialist provides service to patients and providers during inbound and outbound phone calls while scheduling appointments, capturing messages for the clinic staff and providers, and addressing the needs of the customer with occasional guidance. Schedules patient appointments, escalates patients' health concerns in accordance with individual division guidelines, provides connections to resources for clinical advice and guidance, and navigates complex situations while making sound effective decisions. This position will be working in the clinic.
Your Role: High volume phone work, interacting with patients and providers. Strong customer service skills, excellent phone etiquette, and call center experience needed.
Sign On Bonus: $2000 (paid out after 60 days of employment and current good standing)
40 hour week
The Vanderbilt Department of Otolaryngology cares for patients with ear, nose and throat and related disorders. U.S. News & World Report ranks Vanderbilt Otolaryngology among the top 20 programs in the nation for ear, nose and throat care. We are the number-1 adult hospital in Tennessee and metropolitan Nashville. We are national leaders in research and innovative treatments.
Our state-of-the-art clinical facility, the John S. Odess Otolaryngology & Head and Neck Surgery Clinic, offers the most advanced technology and techniques available. We also serve patients at the Vanderbilt Voice Center, the Asthma Sinus Allergy Program, Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt and the Vanderbilt Bill Wilkerson Center at St. Thomas.
Discover Vanderbilt University Medical Center:
Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity -- of culture, thinking, learning and leading -- is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt's mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
VUMC Recent Accomplishments
Because we are committed to providing the best in patient care, education and research, we are proud of our recent accomplishments:
US News & World Report: #1 Hospital in Tennessee, #1 Health Care Provider in Nashville, #1 Audiology ( Bill Wilkerson Center ), 12 adult and 10 pediatric clinical specialties ranked among the nation's best, #15 Education and Training
Truven Health Analytics: among the top 50 cardiovascular hospitals in the U.S.
Becker's Hospital Review: one of the "100 Greatest Hospitals in America"
The Leapfrog Group: grade "A" in Hospital Safety Score
National Institutes of Health: among the top 10 grant awardees for medical research in the US
Magnet Recognition Program: Vanderbilt nurses are the only group honored in Tennessee
Nashville Business Journal: Middle Tennessee's healthiest employer
American Hospital Association: among the 100 "Most Wired" medical systems in the US
Answers calls for multiple areas in efficient and effective manner using standard greetings for opening of call, content of call and closure of call.
Ensures accuracy in answering questions and assisting customer with requests to meet their needs.
Captures customer information and document using messaging system to clinic staff and/or providers.
Schedules appointments in electronic systems using guidelines for area/department including prioritizing patients' health problems according to their urgency, educating/advising patients and making safe, effective decisions.
Provides information to customer regarding appointment location, process steps, parking, etc.
The responsibilities listed are a general overview of the position and additional duties may be assigned.
CALL CENTER TELEPHONE ETIQUETTE (FUNDAMENTAL AWARENESS): - Able to handle patient or provider calls and contribute positively to the call center working environment. Demonstrates good manners, decorum and appropriate protocols. Avoids and neutralizes conflicts and handles difficult callers in a positive and professional way.
CUSTOMER SERVICE (FUNDAMENTAL AWARENESS): - A continuing focus on the needs and requirements of customers, anticipating their needs, remaining sensitive to customers while performing services for them, responsive to customer needs.
PATIENT SCHEDULING (FUNDAMENTAL AWARENESS): - The ability to coordinate and schedule patient appointments, surgeries and other office visits with various computer systems in the hospital or clinic.
PATIENT SATISFACTION (FUNDAMENTAL AWARENESS): - Participates in patient satisfaction related process improvement activities as well as providing high quality contact experience for the patient with every call. This position also has direct effect on ease of scheduling appointment and ease of getting clinic on the phone.
Organizational Impact: Performs clearly defined tasks and methods described in detail to achieve standardized solutions that impact own performance with regular guidance.
Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Follows a well established process to solve routine problems where solutions are clearly prescribed.
Breadth of Knowledge: Has basic job knowledge of systems and procedures that are common to own job.
Team Interaction: Individually contributes to the team.
SUPPORTING COLLEAGUES (S1):
- Develops Self and Others: Continuously improves own skills by identifying development opportunities.
- Builds and Maintains Relationships: Seeks to understand colleagues priorities, working styles and develops relationships across areas.
- Communicates Effectively: Openly shares information with others and communicates in a clear and courteous manner.
DELIVERING EXCELLENT SERVICES (S1):
- Serves Others with Compassion: Invests time to understand the problems, needs of others and how to provide excellent service.
- Solves Complex Problems: Seeks to understand issues, solves routine problems, and raises proper concerns to supervisors in a timely manner.
- Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Listens carefully to understand the issues and provides accurate information and support.
ENSURING HIGH QUALITY (S1):
- Performs Excellent Work: Checks work quality before delivery and asks relevant questions to meet quality standards Ensures continuous improvement.
- Ensures Continuous Improvement: Shows eagerness to learn new knowledge, technologies, tools or systems and displays willingness to go above and beyond.
- Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements: Demonstrates basic knowledge of conditions that affect safety and reports unsafe conditions to the appropriate person or department.
MANAGING RESOURCES EFFECTIVELY (S1):
- Demonstrates Accountability: Takes responsibility for completing assigned activities and thinks beyond standard approaches to provide high-quality work/service.
- Stewards Organizational Resources: Displays understanding of how personal actions will impact departmental resources.
- Makes Data Driven Decisions: Uses accurate information and good decision making to consistently achieve results on time and without error.
FOSTERING INNOVATION (S1):
- Generates New Ideas: Willingly proposes/accepts ideas or initiatives that will impact day-to-day operations by offering suggestions to enhance them.
- Applies Technology: Absorbs new technology quickly; understands when to utilize the appropriate tools and procedures to ensure proper course of action.
- Adapts to Change: Embraces change by keeping an open mind to changing plans and incorporates change instructions into own area of work.
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is home to Vanderbilt University Hospital, The Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, the Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital and the Vanderbilt Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospital. These hospitals experienced more than 61,000 inpatient admissions during fiscal year 2015. Vanderbilt’s adult and pediatric clinics treated nearly 2 million patients during this same period. Vanderbilt University Hospital and the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt are recognized again this year by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals as among the nation’s best with 18 nationally ranked specialties. Vanderbilt University Medical Center is world renowned because of the innovation, work ethic and collegiality of its employees. From our health care advances to our compassionate care, Vanderbilt owes its accomplishments and reputation to staff and faculty who bring skill and drive and innovation to the medical center day after day. World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disease.As t...he largest employer in middle Tennessee, we welcome those who are interested in ongoing development in a caring, culturally sensitive and professional atmosphere. Most of us spend so much of our lives at work, we want to be part of maintaining a workplace in which people support one another and encourage reaching for excellence. Many high-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt because of the professional growth they experience and because of their appreciation of Vanderbilt’s benefits, public events and discussions, athletic opportunities, beautiful setting and, above all, sense of community and purpose.Vanderbilt and its employees share a set of mutual expectations that have been created with productivity, legality, fairness and safety always in mind. We believe that our investment in training and compensating employees multiplies in value when we enable individuals to deliver their best performance for the benefit of us all.